Thursday, July 7, 2005

Walking the walk, not just talk

Life lately has been pretty simple. Vacation was about traveling, seeing friends, singing and then returning home. When we are home, I have either been at work, or working on the new fence since Father's Day weekend.. Surprising how quickly time passed with so little thinking.

I haven't posted much, because I haven't had anything worth saying... I know, I know.. most of you that actually know me are laughing right now. That is rare. Thing that has struck me is that maybe I and everyone else am thinking too hard. Maybe life is supposed to be more about doing and less about thinking.

I am a strategist, visionary type but I am also a performer and a doer. Since I left Branch's I have struggled to figure out what I am supposed to DO...I have been in a constant "state of funk"... hard to really accomplish anything significant.

I think I am supposed to just be me. The musician, dad, technology analyst, project manager guy who finds ways to get stuff done. Little things, short, small conversations do matter. The trick is to have something to do. Last week in Montreat, Tracee and I had a great conversation with friends about where all the "problem" are in the church today. Man, that is easy to do... Soooo much harder to actually change even one person. I have checked out of the "real" game lately. Please pray for an opportunity to go back in for us..

Thought for the day: Let God handle the God-size problems.. as for me... We are going to be the musicians and leaders God made us to be. I am going to continue to sing wherever I can find an audience. We are going to try and be salt and light to everyone around us. "New Kinds of Christians"

Ministry is about one on one relationships and I need more of those. Mass media are important, internet, news, tv, etc.. but in the end... what matters is what I have done for and with the people I have directly contacted. I need to find a choir, I need to sing on a higher level, and I need to find a better way to fulfill my higher calling than just waking up every day. That interim pastor at Branch's did some damage to my family, but I am allowing him to have far more impact than he deserves. Cecil once told me that I needed to "get happy".. there was something to that advice. I control how I am.. noone else. I want to be that happy guy who had more work than he could handle last year...

I am not out of my funk yet, but I am getting there. Life is a box of chocolates.. you never know what you are gonna get... just think, you have to bite in to find the good ones and the bad.. and in the end.. even the bad ones are good!

Thank you to everyone who cares about us. Know that we care for you as much or even more.

James 1:17-25 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.

But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it — he will be blessed in what he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment