Monday, October 10, 2005

Direction

Spent a lot of energy in the past 6 months focusing on singing for me. I think that is the wrong intention and despite the realization that singing, my singing, is at the core of my identity.. It can not become my sole focus. That is NOT who I am anymore.
I was that person and years ago chose a different route. No need to seek that direction again..Self-promotion and success as a performer are not the keys do defining my purpose, or fulfilling my call.
I actually turned down an opportunity to sing weekly at a local church for good money this past week.. Seemed to me that the impact on my family, not to mention the return to solo performing in church for money would have intensely negative consequences all around. but man... the extra paycheck would have been nice

There is something different for me here, in focusing on encouraging others to sing versus singing for them. Music ministry(as defined by Jeff) should have a healthy weighting on the former and while solo singing and my growth as a performer are important.. they are not central to my purpose and direction.

Building on a comment from an earlier post..

Encouragement and Service are central to my purpose and direction.. Some at church, some on stage, some at work, and some at family.. Success is defined by the mix and the journey.. not the destination/outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment