Friday, December 23, 2005

Mature

It doesn't mean old.. it doesn't mean experienced. It means that you are comfortable with who you are, and you don't feel the need to prove yourself to those around you. The closest parallel I could come up with is the idea of "tenure" in the university systems. The difference is of course, that tenure is "bestowed" by peers and committees. Maturity is earned privately through hundreds of successes and failures. People in my life contribute, but ultimately the growth is up to me.

On Stargate SG1, they talk about "ascension" as a concept of moving past a need for a physical body. In my mind, that is similar to my line of thinking. Maturity doesn't mean that I don't care about others around me, or what they think. It simply means that how they feel and think of me, doesn't drive my happiness. It isn't the focus of my actions in the world.

When I am finally comfortable with myself, I can make the "choice" to help others. I can choose to spread the Gospel, not because others think I should, but because I see it as the calling for my life. I sing, not for glory, but simply because it is who I am and what I do.

I want those around me to like me, but I don't NEED it...

MATURE:
1. Having reached full natural growth or development: a mature cell.
2. Having reached a desired or final condition; ripe: a mature cheese.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of full development, either mental or physical: mature for her age.
3. Suitable or intended for adults: mature subject matter.
Composed of adults: a mature audience.
4. Worked out fully by the mind; considered: a mature plan of action.Having reached the limit of its time; due: a mature bond.
5. No longer subject to great expansion or development. Used of an industry, a market, or a product.
6. Geology. Having reached maximum development of form. Used of streams and landforms.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment