Sunday, August 20, 2006

All Grown Up

I am thinking about the different expectations we have of children versus adults. This line of thinking invariably takes me to the idea of responsibility and accountability. Adults can still have fun, love, learn, live.. but they are bound by the controls of responsibility.

We are responsible(and accountable) to our children, our parents, our friends, our church, our community, our world. Responsibility incorporates knowledge, awareness and action. We are called to authentic, honest action. NOT LIP SERVICE.

- Lip service is lethal
Terry Green at Woodland Hts Baptist church preached on the parable of the two sons and it has remained with me through the week. Permeating everything I have done and all that I have said.

A recent scene from National Treasure strikes me... Nicolas cage reads from and interprets the Declaration of Independence...for his sidekick.. "We have the knowledge and the ability, therefore we have the responsibility to act and throw off the chains of oppression that precede us"

-- This scene clarifies for me that we can and must strive to improve our world when we are "all grown up".. to sit back and consume the resources of the world is to become a parasite on the backbone of society. The transition from child, to youth to adult is paralleled in our educational offerings. We must grow and build musicians with a mindset of responsibility and accountability. They must desire to impact their world in a relevant and tangible manner. One person at a time, one event at a time.. The sum of ALL of our efforts can and will make a difference.

I am responding to my call to music ministry with Da Capo.. Tracee and I are attempting to use music to "change the world". Lord, I pray that you would bless our offering of time and talents and multiply it unto your glory. The direction is so clear... Help us to maintain that clarity of vision and direction as the world seeks to infiltrate your offering in the coming months.

Matthew 21:28-32:
The Story of Two Sons

"Tell me what you think of this story: A man had two sons. He went up to the first and said, 'Son, go out for the day and work in the vineyard.'
"The son answered, 'I don't want to.' Later on he thought better of it and went."The father gave the same command to the second son. He answered, 'Sure, glad to.' But he never went.
"Which of the two sons did what the father asked?" They said, "The first."
Jesus said, "Yes, and I tell you that crooks and whores are going to precede you into God's kingdom. John came to you showing you the right road. You turned up your noses at him, but the crooks and whores believed him. Even when you saw their changed lives, you didn't care enough to change and believe him.

No comments:

Post a Comment