Thursday, April 26, 2012

Revisiting and testing

Current Nikon D7000 vs a 2005 Konica Minolta 7D
My film post on Monday has me stuck in time. Old time that is! I want to revisit my Old vs New post. Also note, I’ve moved my Old vs New to a sticky in the header area scroll bar. I’m going to be spending some time talking about this topic in the coming weeks. I’m doing quite a bit of testing and will share some more thoughts after I do some more real life shooting with some not so new gear. Until then, take a look at the following images. Without looking at the EXIF data, can you tell which is which? Both shot at 50mm f2 ISO 200.
One of these is from a current state of the art DSLR, a Nikon D7000 with a premium 50mm f1.4 G lens. The other is from an old Konica Minolta 7D DSLR with a $79 used 50mm f1.7 lens. The KM 7D was launched on September 15, 2004. I know this isn’t a great test and that at this size of image it’s hard to tell. That is not the point. The point is that good quality old equipment can take some fine photographs and for most folks and many situations for most photographers, it is all you or I need. I have more thoughts on this as I’ve been enjoying shooting my old Konica Minolta 7D a lot. Tomorrow I’ll be sharing a few photos including some Minnesota wildlife from the KM 7D. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment