Friday, April 29, 2005

On display

Charles and I have a recital tomorrow night. I love the singing. But I
hate putting on the "ego" .. Or... maybe I love it, but am ashamed at
my desire to be the best... fine line there.

Why is it that most americans have so little regard for anything fine,
refined, or requiring great discipline to achieve. I get the whole
"free spirit" idea. Am I just part of thinking stemming from another
age. I believe that God made me carefully and whole, and intended for
me to be exactly who I am. I am a singer, but I am so much more. Why
must we lock ourself into the cultural expectations all around us.
Even the church, today's institutional church, seeks to stereotype
us.. WHY? Why isn't each individuals value apparent to every other?
Why must we put ourselves on display, and "Ridi pagliacci" (play the
clown) The cycle seems so vicious. I logged on to the church
website and.... verse of the day..

Finally, brothers, whatever is true,
whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is
lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or
praiseworthy--think about such things.

Philippians 4:8

Is it that simple...?

No comments:

Post a Comment