Friday, June 23, 2006

Service in the choir

I am going to present a short testimony at church on Sunday about what it means to serve in choir. What does it mean to me? Why do I go to rehearsals? Why am I proud to serve?

The answers are simple and easy. I am a musician. I am a singer. I am built to need to sing. But the reasons I sing in choir are more community based. I thrive on interactions with those other musicians. When I skip rehearsals, I miss the people and I miss making music with them. I am honored to give of my time to create beauty in our worship services. I pray that my service blesses those around me whether in the choir or in the congregation. I pray that God enjoys listening to me raise my voice in song.

I think we should sing because God asks us to. Music is a mystical force that touches the world on an elemental "God" level. Passion, energy, discipline, dedication, reverence, honor... they all play their part.

I wonder if I always sing because God wants me to, or if my performances are self serving. Tough to say for sure in every instance, but my God is a merciful God who understands that I sometimes lose my way. My choir helps to keep me grounded in my gifts and in my service. I remember why I sing. I strive to sing a new song.

Ephesians 5:18-20
Don't drink too much wine. That cheapens your life. Drink the Spirit of God, huge draughts of him. Sing hymns instead of drinking songs! Sing songs from your heart to Christ. Sing praises over everything, any excuse for a song to God the Father in the name of our Master, Jesus Christ.
The Message

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

New International Version

No comments:

Post a Comment