Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Daily Thoughts 5/13/2009

Family reading. Digital ID: 1501684. New York Public Library

Family Reading, Ehon, c1830

Daily Thoughts 5/13/2009

It is confirmed I am going to Book Expo America on May 29, 2009. I really look forward to it. Yes, really really. http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/

We discussed reference resources today. I also started shifting the 700s to create space. I had the young adult library aide help with the shifting of books. Today was another busy day.

I am reading Got Game How The Gamer Generation Is Reshaping Business Forever by John C. Beck and Mitchell Wade, Harvard Business School Press. This book is a reminder that people in their twenties and thirties grew up in a world where there were video games their whole lives. More people have video game consoles in their homes than computers. I like to think of social networks as a kind of business simulation game for adults. If you go to ALA Connect, the largest public group in their website is Gamers. I sometimes think teenagers are spending more time playing video games than reading.

Many video games in Japan are what are called "visual novels", a kind of choose your own adventure style game with text, anime style graphics, music, puzzles, and other content. This is an example from Hanako Games called Fatal Hearts . http://www.hanakogames.com/fatal.shtml

Web Bits

I enjoy reading Cory Doctorow's columns from Locus Magazine. http://www.locusmag.com/Perspectives/2009/05/cory-doctorow-extreme-geek.html

No comments:

Post a Comment