Sunday, January 31, 2010

My First Favorite Books



My first favorite book? That’s a tough one. I remember carting Go, Dog, Go! everywhere I went when I was very little, and was especially enamored with one of the final pages depicting the ‘big dog party’ atop a tree. I loved that picture...so much to take in, so much going on.

I also remember the first honest-to-goodness novel I ever finished back in the fifth grade, The Horse That Played Center Field by Hal Higdon. I don’t remember much about it, except I was sure proud of myself for reading a book (with no pictures!) cover-to-cover.

Other than that, I remember loving Beverly Cleary’s books, like The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Runaway Ralph, Socks and Otis Spofford.

The first book I actually fell in love with was Stephen King’s The Stand, which I read when I was 15. A friend gave it to me and said it was great, but it sat on my dresser for a month...until one weekend when I was grounded, with nothing else to do, I happened to pick it up, and didn’t put it down until I was done...some twelve hours later (this was an 800 page book). After that, I began to devour King’s novels. Some were good, some were bad, but The Stand remains my favorite (and the favorite of a lot of King fans), and it still the I’ve read the most often (at least five times).

1 comment: