Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Donavan

It was back to Greyton this past week for me. Gosh, I really love the place - to wake up to the birds, no traffic noise and pollution free air is absolute bliss. Maybe one day I'll get to live in the country.

Some time ago, before I started my art lessons, when I was struggling with the beginnings of oils, I painted a picture of a Rasta who lives in the Imizamo Yethu settlement in Hout Bay. His name is Donavan and he feeds a colony of about 8 stray cats in the area. To feed them, he makes a fishing line and goes down to the harbour in Hout Bay to catch fish. I did a pencil drawing of him and then I tried my hand at an oil.
The last time I was in Greyton, I met two Rastafarians who live and work in the area. Of course I had to paint them. I will be posting them in the next week or two, as a comparison to Donovan!

No comments:

Post a Comment