Sunday, November 30, 2008

Roses

I seem to be doing more watercolours lately than oils - when I was in Greyton I only took my watercolours with me. The red rose and the bud come from the garden there - I had them in a vase in front of me, sitting on the verandah in the warm Spring mornings, watching the birds and trying my hand at still life flowers. I was quite pleased with the result, but felt they were a little overworked.

On my way home that Sunday, I stopped off at the Houwhoek farm stall and bought a Hanepoot vine for my garden - (I've always wanted a grape vine!) - and th
e rather gruff elderly lady who looks after the nursery saw the painting, loved it, so I gave it to her.

The second painting of the pink roses was done last Monday in our watercolour group - it was a 10 minute exercise and I rather enjoyed stopping when I had to.



No comments:

Post a Comment