Friday, March 12, 2010

It's All Their Fault


I blame my parents. If it weren't for their combined DNA, I wouldn't be a writer or have spent so many years as an artist. Yeah, it's all their fault!

Seriously though, before I even had a say-so, I became apprentice first to my father with the silk screening business he launched from his studio. Then with my mom, I started helping out when the deadlines were shorter than the amount of work we had. (We painted canvas for tapestries.) From there, I went into painting children's portraits.
Of course, when they got me this huge dictionary and a typewriter for my thirteenth birthday, it would have been craptacularly rude not to use them. I had been writing all the stories and stuff in my head by hand for so long. But I loved that old ribbon typewriter, even if the klutzy keys kept getting stuck on one another.

So yeah, they made me do it. They made me become an artist and a writer. If it weren't for them, I'd probably be an accountant or a dentist or a postal worker.

(Thank you bunches, Mom and Dad!)

Warmly,
J.R. Turner

J.R. Turner is the author of the Extreme Hauntings series. The first book, DFF: Dead Friends Forever is available at Amazon.com, Kindle, Fictionwise, and Echelon Press.com

No comments:

Post a Comment