Thursday, October 8, 2009

Flashback, Future, and Faith


The last few weeks have consisted of a bit of a rebirth of creative spirit for me.  Perhaps it is a result of my rehearsals and the concert at Bruton Parish. Perhaps it was just the end of Summer and a return to the energy of the Fall seasons in church and school. Perhaps it was the musical immersion at the cathedral and our wonderful trip to see friends and reminisce at both WCC and Juilliard a bit.  This creativity flows through my writing, my meetings, and my music alike, but it blurs my sense of exactness, creating the uncertainty and naivete of a young child. I feel as though I need a guide, a compass, a tune, or even just a reminder of my faith.

"Perhaps, the flute will be my guide" is what Tamino would say near the end of Act 1.

I'm never sure what to call  these periods of creativity, maybe they arise from the divine spark, maybe perspective, maybe rational, logical cycle of passion and energy sort of like a recharge of a battery.  I honestly don't know but I seem to be able to sync my corporate identity with my technology skills and my life feels strangely out of sync, yet in sync all at the same time.  I'm not sure what next week, month or year will bring, but for the first time in a long time that is okay.  

I am now actively participating and leading, making decisions, and pushing forward for results in my church, in areas that I would have taken much more "politically correct" positions in the past.  Right or wrong, I am back to fully embracing my call to ministry through my music, my jobs, and a myriad of daily opportunities.  Strangely, I'm not afraid. I am just moving forward honestly, with the knowledge that some things will work out and others won't. 

A former teacher, now a friend and colleague in Kavbar's Blog, wrote about this quote from CS Lewis and it further inspired me: 
“Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.” CS Lewis
What I do know is that our lives are a balance and that we must make choices which reflect our identity, our purpose, our free will, our blessings and our hope for a future.  We are not here to know the future nor to understand it. We are here to live it, TOGETHER in Brotherhood.  We are here to be the benefactors of those around us, friends and foes alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment