Saturday, July 19, 2008

Obligations of Obama & McCain


I heard an interview on NPR yesterday with Brian Mclaren who is supporting Mr Obama. I think very highly of Brian and have visited him at his church n Maryland, in addition to reading almost all of his books. The story on NPR used a biblical quote/ imperative to listen to a man's words as a grounding for voting.. This got me thinking about what I am obligated to do for this election, system etc.. and what the candidates and parties are obligated to do for me.

First off, I am stunned that so many people think that we should so centrally use religion as a litmus test for a president. The principles set up by our nations' founders were rooted in an understanding and respect for religion but they understood that the line had to be drawn short of religious litmus tests and mandated belief systems. There are plenty of things we need to talk openly about and understand how these gentlemen think..

" thousands of conversations, millions even -- around dinner tables, sitting at the beach, during hikes and boat rides, online, in church fellowship halls, and parking lots -- about truly important issues for us as Americans and as Christians. We'll need to talk about race, war, poverty, sustainable prosperity, the environment, energy, national unity and fragmentation, torture, what it means to be a moral leader in the family of nations"

We need to have some idea of who they are as men. That comes by listening to their words, and applying a critical lens, but for me it is most important that we review there "entire" lives and find consistent themes of honesty, patriotism, service, and humility in the face of an often crushing political publicity machine. The issues are there now, and have always been there.. People make the difference.. Who are they? We as citizens, must take accountablity and actively learn about them..not just sit back and listen to TV and Radio Ads.. We must take the time and do the research. The obligation starts with me.
  • I am obligated to help and love my neighbor.
  • I am obligated to support and participate in the political system of our country.
  • I am obligated worship and serve my community with a spirit of humility.
  • I am obligated to learn continually and to seek understanding and wisdom through prayer and bible study.
  • I am obligated to act and show my beliefs in my daily labors, not just talk about them.
  • I am obligated to stand up and testify.
He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. --Micah 6:8 NIV

What are our two candidated mandated to do for us as presidential candidates?
I have my own list as a starting point. I wonder how/if it will change in coming months?
  • Conduct themselves with honesty and integrity.
  • Talk to us about what they think, and who they are. (not just what their party's represent)
  • They must know the constitution and have a plan about how to fulfill their coming oath to us.
  • They must be able to lead and surround themselves with leaders of integrity.
  • Above all, as candidates they must tell us what they plan to do, and are capable of doing.. not just what we want to hear.

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." -- Oath of the President of the United States


Which of them can execute this oath and list more effectively?
I know what I think. John McCain. I encourage you to focus on why you would vote for your candidate of choice. It must be more than any single issue. What are your expectations? As a citizen, they are obligated to earn your vote.

... pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. --1 Timothy 6:11 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment