Saturday, September 12, 2009

We came together today, we just couldn't stay there...912 thinking


Spent some time talking with family last night and we ended up talking about service and action in the world around us. Kids are excited to be serving in THE CLINIC at Huguenot Road Baptist Church today.

I wanted to, but didn't share how I was disappointed that I didn't go to Washington DC for the 912 Project rally. When Alyssa asked me what I was "doing" about all of the things we have talked about in the past months it cut like a hot knife through butter. She was right.. a 12 year old, middle schooler. I need to be focused more on doing, as we all do.

We seek to influence and act through our music and relationships on every front.
  • The Summer forums were wonderful.
  • We invested in friends and in our community relationships.
  • We continue to invest money and time into DaCapoVA because it is the right thing to do. Tracee continues to lead the children's choirs at HRBC.
  • I sent a recording of my performance of America the Beautiful to Glenn Beck, hoping that it might help him personally, hoping that it inspired the LSMF audience, and that it might inspire many others on FB, and Youtube. His 912 principles inspired me in my performance so it seemed only appropriate.
  • I am completely passionate about teaching the OpenDoor class every Sunday morning. (BTW, if you are within driving distance, you should visit and learn with us.. we have a blast)
The most important thing we do is this. We say what we are going to do, and we do what we say while we love unconditionally. It isn't easy and some days are better than others, but that is the root. Maybe that is enough, time will tell.

These principles came from Glenn Beck and are worth remembering as well. I wish I was in Washington DC, but I'm not. I guess I'll just have to keep on acting right here in Richmond VA.

==================
912 Project Principles

1. America Is Good.
2. I believe in God and He is the Center of my Life.
God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
Honesty “I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider to be the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.” George Washington
4. The family is sacred. My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
Marriage/Family “It is in the love of one’s family only that heartfelt happiness is know. By a law of our nature, we cannot be happy without the endearing connections of a family.” Thomas Jefferson
5. If you break the law you pay the penalty. Justice is blind and no one is above it.
Justice “I deem one of the essential principles of our government… equal and exact justice to all men of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political.” Thomas Jefferson
6. I have a right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.
Life, Liberty, & The Pursuit of Happiness “Everyone has a natural right to choose that vocation in life which he thinks most likely to give him comfortable subsistence.” Thomas Jefferson
7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to. Government cannot force me to be charitable.
Charity “It is not everyone who asketh that deserveth charity; all however, are worth of the inquiry or the deserving may suffer.” George Washington
8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
On your right to disagree “In a free and republican government, you cannot restrain the voice of the multitude; every man will speak as he thinks, or more properly without thinking.” George Washington
9. The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.
Who works for whom? “I consider the people who constitute a society or a nation as the source of all authority in that nation.” Thomas Jefferson


No comments:

Post a Comment