Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Benevolence plan for world?

After a long FB thread where I decried the big government approach to entitlements and benevolence.  This question was asked...

Jeff--what WOULD you do with people who are poor and needy?
And do you think business is a better model for meeting social needs than the government? If so, why?

Individual service to a brother is enough. When more choose to serve, then the despair will be lessoned. A service mindset cannot be mandated or regulated. It must be freely given. I take this model from my faith, and from Jesus' model when he was on the Earth.

I make a difference personally in my community. in my church.. I serve and model service to others... I actively talk and influence within my community, and to the world.. and others join because they see my actions and their impact. My heart is rooted in love for others and my minds shows me that they must be taught to care for themselves... not have all given to them.

It is enough. God takes care of the world, always has, always will... suffering, poverty can't be eliminated... any more than violence and greed. It is too much for man to try and fix the world.  See It is not enough to be right for more on this.

To think that "collective" man can "make it all better" is an insidiously dangerous form of idolatry in my Christian world view.

As far as business goes.... Business is usually about business but it doesn't have to be. Even churches today are often run as businesses.  Practical reality forces this but a transaction based approach to people is decidedly unChristian.  Another take on this is.. in order to give, you must have something to give, the source and method matter. Businesses can choose to give, because they didn't just take.

I think ministry in small direct applications "organic" missional rennaissance churches is a better model... churches..http://hrbcopendoor.blogspot.com/

I am a social entrepreneur musician, and I'm passionate about music.. so I serve there through http://dacapova.org/ Others should serve where their blessings and talents lie.

When others see this service, they join.. and we make a difference. in partnership, in freedom.. freely and cheerfully given.

This thread on FB ended with a wonderful testimony.. not by me, but one with which I completely agree:
"I just keep plodding along, one day, one helping hand, one email, one comment, one petition, one letter to the editor, one phone call, one offer, one day of resisting the urge to take my little piece of donut and give it all the protection I can." Margaret

My response:  Excellent testimony... same here.

I guess we will have to just trust in the Lord.. for the "collective" outcomes.

---Add'l thoughts/quotes..

"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." — C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment